Infertility is a common issue. In fact, around 12 percent of American couples struggle to conceive. CDC statistics also show that ten percent of women between the ages of 15 and 44 have trouble staying pregnant after conception. The majority of these issues occurs due to the woman’s ovulation and hormonal imbalances. This can be the result of poor health habits, including smoking, alcohol abuse and poor diet. Women with high stress levels also struggle to conceive.
Many couples are unaware that there are foods that can help increase fertility. A fertility superfood that should be on every couple’s baby diet list is artichoke. Artichokes help with liver function and contain many nutrients, including vitamins B9 (folate) and C. Folate is essential for DNA repair and embryo development, which is necessary for creating a healthy baby. Additionally, artichokes also have a high fiber content.
Artichoke Fertility Recipes
Artichokes may be an acquired taste, but there are recipes that can make them taste great. These artichoke recipes are easy remedies for both males and females looking to improve their chances of conception.
For this recipe, you’re going to need artichokes, olive oil or melted butter, garlic and fresh herbs of your choice. Oregano and thyme are great, but you can substitute an Italian seasoning blend for a bit of extra flavor. The final ingredients are lemon, sea salt and black pepper.
- To begin, you’re going to trim your artichokes and slice them in half.
- After hollowing the center, rub the entire half with a lemon wedge. Then, brush each half with olive oil or butter and place them facing upwards on a baking sheet.
- After packing the halves with garlic and herbs, season them with salt and pepper before flipping them and adding more salt and pepper.
- Roast these halves for ten minutes uncovered before cooking them covered with foil until they are tender.
- After removing the fresh herbs, add lemon juice and enjoy!
These pair well with Tzatziki sauce and pesto, but feel free to enjoy them as they are.
If you enjoy a nice dip, this is the fertility recipe for you.
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.
- Add artichokes and fresh basil to a food processor and coarsely blend them.
- Add Parmesan cheese, tapenade and your favorite herbs and transfer to a baking dish.
- For added nutrients, you can add some spinach.
- Place this mixture into the oven for thirty minutes.
- While this recipe bakes, cut and toast some bread. Add your dip to the toasted bread and add basil for garnish.
This can be a quick snack or a pre-dinner appetizer.
- After preheating your oven to 450 degrees, squeeze the juice of a lemon into a bowl of water. Trim the artichokes until the hearts are exposed.
- After halving each piece, dip them into lemon water to avoid browning. Thinly slice the hearts and place them in a bowl.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper before giving them a toss.
- Stretch pizza dough into a nine-inch round and place it on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Before adding salt and pepper to the dough, brush on more olive oil.
- Top the dough with burrata cheese, olives, artichokes and rosemary. If you’re not into burrata cheese, you can substitute fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Bake this pizza for up to 15 minutes. Be sure to rotate the pan halfway through for an even bake. The cheese should be bubbly, and the crust should be crispy and golden brown.
- Add lemon zest and black pepper and enjoy!
Struggling to conceive can be difficult for any couple. By incorporating this superfood into your diet, you and your partner have a higher probability of conceiving and carrying a healthy baby. Artichokes help with the menstrual cycle’s luteal phase, which is the transition from menstruation to ovulation. Having a functioning corpus luteum makes it easier for a fertilized egg to implant. Incorporating these delicious recipes into your diet along with maintaining a healthy lifestyle will help you and your partner on your journey to a great pregnancy.