During sexual activity, both the male and female bodies produce liquids known as lubricants, which aid optimal intercourse. However, in some cases, when women experience vaginal dryness, for example, the sexual tract fails to become lubricated enough, which leads to the need for synthetic products.
Moreover, certain individuals enjoy using synthetic lubrication to enhance their sexual pleasure. Substances known as lubricants might increase a couple’s fertility levels.
The Application of Lubrication Products
Individuals who enjoy using added lubrication often apply the products to their sexual organs. Physicians and sex experts opine that there is no specific minimum or maximum amount that should be administered, and there are a variety of products to choose from. Common forms of synthetic sexual lubricants include products with water, silicone or oil bases.
Qualities of an Optimal Lubricant
Good qualities of a lubricant depends on what an individual hopes to gain from it. Certain products might prove detrimental to conception because it might actually damage sperm. Couples hoping to conceive or those struggling with infertility should avoid spermicide products at all costs.
These provisions include using lubricants that contain the following:
- Low Acidity – The pH scale indicates how acidic or basic a product is. Typically, a lower pH score means that the product in question contains a larger concentration of acid. Acid could prove detrimental to sperm health and quality. Therefore, couples interested in maintaining optimal fertility should opt for lubricants with higher pH levels.
- FDA Approval as Sperm-Friendly – Certain lubricants are officially classified as non-spermicidal. This means the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the federally sanctioned agency created to test the safety and efficacy of the foods and medications Americans consume and ingest, has designated the drug fertility-safe.
- Minimal Potentially Harmful Products – Those using lubricants should avoid any products containing common household chemicals like peroxide, substances like glycerol or items containing parabens. All of these substances are considered potentially detrimental to sperm count, strength and motility (the speed at which the organisms swim).
Additional Methods of Maintaining Optimal Fertility Levels
In addition to using appropriate lubrication, both men and women can engage in other activities medical professionals deem beneficial to optimal fertility levels:
- Healthy Weight- Individuals carrying excess weight are often at an increased risk of infertility. Excess weight can influence systemic hormonal levels, which can, in turn, have a negative effect on the reproductive system.
- Physical Activity – Regular exercise is said to stimulate proper hormonal balance and reproductive organs.
- Healthy Diet – Nutritional experts and healthcare professionals opine that consumption of specific foods can significantly enhance fertility levels. These products include fruits and vegetables, grain products and legumes. These professionals also strongly suggest that processed, canned and frozen foods, items with artificial ingredients, as well as beverages containing excessive concentrations of caffeine and alcohol be consumed sparingly or not at all.
- Nutritional Supplements – The ingestion of nutritional supplements is also believed to enhance fertility levels. Nutritional experts specifically recommend that individuals augment their diet with foods rife with nutrients like zinc and vitamin C, two chemicals noted for their fertility-enhancing qualities.