If your partner has been told he has a low sperm count, there are ways to fix the issue. Foods for increasing sperm count are plentiful.
Although most people automatically think women are the culprit when there are fertility problems, it is often the man, and he can experience a low sperm count. Around 15% of couples who have difficulty conceiving learn that the man’s low sperm count is indeed the problem. Fortunately, there are ways to naturally improve sperm count. There are even foods you can consume to help.
How to Get Foods for Increasing Sperm Count
When it comes to foods to help with fertility, you are in luck. There are plenty of options available to you and your partner. If you aren’t at all familiar with superfoods, you might think you have to find them at health food stores. However, chances are high that you can find sperm-friendly foods right in your kitchen. Or you can simply get them from your favorite neighborhood grocery store. A few of them might even pleasantly surprise your partner. These are the foods he should aim to eat when he is trying to increase his sperm count so you can get pregnant. They include the following:
- Oysters: Oysters are said to be aphrodisiacs, which is always a good thing when you want to increase your sex drive to conceive. They are also high in zinc, which is beneficial for increasing testosterone, sperm count and better sperm motility.
- Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds, like oysters, are high in zinc. They are also very delicious and can be eaten as a treat after being briefly heated in the oven or microwave.
- Dark chocolate: Who doesn’t love chocolate? Dark chocolate is best for men who want to increase their sperm count. It contains an essential amino acid called arginine, which not only increases sperm count but quality as well.
- Oranges: Oranges and other fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin C should be regularly consumed. These are great foods for increasing sperm count and improving sperm morphology and motility.
- Dark, leafy vegetables: Dark, leafy veggies like romaine, asparagus, spinach and Brussels sprouts are rich in vitamin B, which can help to promote the development of healthy sperm.
- Salmon and sardines: More seafood you should be eating to increase your sperm count are salmon and sardines. These fish have omega-3 fatty acids, which can help improve the quality and count of your sperm.
- Pomegranate juice and water: Men should incorporate drinks like pomegranate juice and plain water into their diet. The former is rich in antioxidants while the latter keeps you well-hydrated, which can improve your seminal fluid.
- Brazil nuts: Brazil nuts contain selenium, which helps with sperm count, quality and motility.
What Foods Should Be Avoided?
Certain foods should be avoided in favor of those that are known to increase sperm count. Certain things can actually have an opposite effect and adversely affect sperm quality and count. Those foods include the following:
- Caffeine: Although you and your partner might have a hankering for your favorite morning coffee, you should both avoid caffeine as it has shown to hinder conception and increases the risk of miscarriage.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can be consumed in moderation at only one or two drinks, but it should generally be avoided.
- Fried foods: Fried foods can be detrimental to the quality of a man’s sperm.
- Full-fat dairy: Full-fat dairy products contain estrogen, which can lead to a decrease in the quality of your partner’s sperm. Fat-free, low-fat or even dairy alternatives are better.
- Processed meats: Ham, bacon, sausage, jerky and other processed meats should be avoided while trying to conceive.
Take Nutritional Supplements, Too
In addition to eating these vital foods, men should also take certain nutritional supplements that can help. If your partner isn’t eating certain types of foods rich in some of the essential vitamins and minerals that can help increase his sperm count, he should take supplements instead. 2,000 to 6,000 mg of vitamin C should be consumed per day. He should also take 100 to 200 mg of zinc every day.
These foods are delicious and can also ultimately help you conceive the family of your dreams.