If you have polycystic ovary syndrome and want to improve your fertility, you have options. Among them are yummy and healthy smoothies to help with PCOS.
Even if you don’t want to get pregnant but simply want to improve your PCOS symptoms, a fertility smoothie can help. It’s important to know the ingredients you should use and the benefits you can enjoy from consuming these rich, healthy drinks.
What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
Polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS is a medical condition that adversely affects the hormones of reproductive-age women. The condition causes women to experience menstrual periods that are spaced far apart due to having excess male hormones. Women with PCOS frequently have difficulty getting pregnant and their ovaries may not always release eggs for ovulation.
Unfortunately, the root cause of PCOS is widely unknown. However, if the condition is diagnosed early enough and a treatment regimen is started right away, it’s possible to keep your weight steady or lose weight and avoid complications like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Women with PCOS have too many male hormones known as androgens, which often results in excess hair, weight gain and acne. Women with the condition often have trouble becoming pregnant. Those who do become pregnant often have difficulty carrying their pregnancy to term, as miscarriage is common.
Ingredients in Smoothies to Help with PCOS
All fertility smoothies to help with PCOS should include certain vital ingredients. Generally speaking, you want to aim to get healthy fats, proteins and fiber in your smoothie and keep ingredients like sugar and carbohydrates low. The following should be incorporated into your fertility smoothies:
- Protein: The best protein sources to add to your smoothie are nonfat plain yogurt or Greek yogurt. These are better than the options that contain fruit flavoring, due to their higher protein content. You can also use plant-based protein powder or nut butter to get your protein.
- Fruit: Fruit is chock-full of vitamins and minerals and can add natural sweetness to your smoothie. Avoid adding too much, as it can have the adverse effect of raising your blood sugar. One cup of fruit, whether you choose one or more options, is best. You can also use fresh or frozen.
- Healthy fats: Healthy fats like avocado or nut butter can help you feel fuller longer and keep your blood glucose levels even. They’re also tasty.
- Fiber: Adding fiber can help to keep your blood sugar low, keep you feeling satisfied longer and provide you with healthy gut bacteria. The best ingredients to add to your smoothie to get fiber include flaxseeds, chia or hemp seeds, wheat or oat bran, or glucomannan powder.
- Greens and other veggies: Add greens and leafy veggies like spinach, kale or zucchini to your smoothies. You can also add other veggies like carrots and cauliflower. These foods are rich in vitamin K, magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, fiber and folate.
- Other ingredients: Of course, you need a liquid for your smoothie. Water, coconut water, nut-based milk and anything else that’s unsweetened works well. You can also add flavorings like fresh ginger, nutmeg, vanilla extract, unsweetened pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, honey, unsweetened cocoa powder or unsweetened coconut shavings.
Benefits of Fertility Smoothies
Smoothies to help with PCOS are not only delicious, but they offer numerous other benefits as well. In particular, smoothies with plenty of green ingredients carry the following benefits:
- Anti-inflammatory agent: Smoothies to help with PCOS are anti-inflammatory agents, which can help to regulate your hormones.
- Balances blood sugar: These smoothies can help keep your blood sugar levels balanced.
- Full of vitamins and minerals: Your body needs plenty of vitamins and minerals, which this smoothie delivers to help regulate your menstrual cycle.
- Provides additional supplements: With the addition of ingredients like collagen, glutamine or maca, you get plenty of additional supplements your body craves.
When you experiment with the right ingredients, you can create the perfect smoothies to help with PCOS. These are tasty and healthy and can help to regulate your reproductive system regardless of whether you are planning to conceive.