A self-care practice known as Hygge can improve a couple’s chances of overcoming infertility problems. The key of this concept is to reduce stress effectively.
Introduced in the nation of Denmark, Hygge, pronounced HOO-GAH, is the incorporation of happiness into the life and soul of practitioners. Adherents learn to apply facets of mental and emotional states such as relaxation, togetherness, comfort and physical presence as a means of enjoying a better and more fulfilled existence.
The Actual Practice of Hygge
There is not one specific manner or method in which the practice is followed. Creators suggest that adherence can be achieved simply by learning to appreciate the joy of living and the simple pleasures that come along with such emotions.
Where Is This Concept Practiced?
Typically, Hygge is practiced inside the homes of its followers. That said, principles can be applied to other environments, such as work and school.
Here are a few of the noteworthy principles:
- Creating an Optimal Environment – The founders of Hygge suggest that few issues prove more critical to adherents than their environments. Without creating the proper setting, achieving an optimal emotional and mental state would be impossible, they say.
- Establishing the most appropriate setting involves designating a room or space in which the practitioner feels most comfortable. Once the choice is made, the next steps include creating an environment that best touches and positively stimulates the senses: sight, smell and sound. For example, many adherents like to light candles, burn incense or initiate the sound of something they find soothing.
- Practicing at the Most Optimal Times – Though its creators suggest that Hygge can be practiced in varying environments, the best location to adhere to is inside the home or some other safe setting. The founders also say that the impact of the practice is best experienced at the end of the day or during downtime, such as the evening, a weekend or during vacation.
- Being Casual – Those who practice Hygge are encouraged to wear comfortable, casual clothing like sweatpants, sweaters and leggings.
- Splurging on Food – Creators opine that the mental and emotional bliss are best achieved when eating novelty foods like chocolate, expensive delicacies, alcoholic beverages of choice or hearty, filling products like stew. The idea behind such advice is to enjoy edible items without stressing over their nutritional or health-inducing contents.
- Engaging in an Enjoyable or Relaxing Activity – Once all the elements are in place, adherents are supposed to engage in some type of activity that they find enjoyable or calming. These activities can vary from person to person, but the founders recommend reading, listening to music or watching television.
Applying the Concept to Infertility
It is no secret that stress can adversely impact both male and female fertility levels. Individuals exposed to excessive or chronically elevated amounts of anxiety and tension release chemicals known as stress hormones to help the body cope.
Unfortunately, over time, these substances can have numerous negative physical manifestations inside the body. One such outcome is nullifying the efficacy of sexual and reproductive hormones like testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone. Should this occur, men and women could experience various health maladies that interfere with their ability to conceive.
Therefore, reducing stress is often paramount to helping couples overcome fertility problems. Through the attainment of emotional and physical comfort, Hygge has been known to help adherents rid their bodies and minds of stress and alleviate or potentially eliminate its harmful effects on the body.